Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Summertime Bounty!

 First pickling of the season!  Almost 40 lbs of cucumbers and zucchini transformed into yummy pickles :-)  About half of the cucumbers were purchased through on of our favorite family businesses...Azure Standard.  
Oh, and a few jars of dilly beans, of course!

So many of my hours and days are spent preparing soil, seeding, transplanting, watering, trellising, harvesting, cleaning and canning the produce that God has given us.  While I busy myself with these projects, I often think about the growing process...and the many truths connected.  It is striking how often you find the use of farming/planting/harvesting narratives and references in the Bible.  Jesus told so many parables that centered around the once essential part of every family's life.  It is amazing how REAL the references and stories become when given a small taste of relying on the harvest for sustenance, like they did in Bible days.  I am so thankful for the blessing of this land and the opportunity we have to grow so many wonderful things here!      

This setup makes quick work of all the cukes!  Richie found this awesome mandolin slicer at Costco Business.  It is a very helpful tool! 

Janet and I have both been putting away many pounds of blueberries, raspberries, and butter, all home grown and delicious! 


First batch of Mozzarella cheese was a success!

And "farmer's cheese" or cottage cheese.  This is one of the easiest and quickest cheeses to make, and it is perfect for lasagna, ravioli, pizza, and eating as a snack!


So far we have harvested 3 gallons of honey.  The count would be a lot more impressive if I was not afraid of my bees.  I did get stung this time, fortunately on the leg, not the face like last time. After a few days of limping around with one leg enlarged to about twice it's normal size, I'm thinking maybe beekeeping is not the right thing for me!
Straining out the wax cappings and particles.

 First ever home-grown pickled banana peppers! 
The greenhouse has allowed a much better pepper harvest than I have ever had in this climate.

 Last week Richie and I had the pleasure of enjoying a delicious BBQ and short boat ride with the family!  
Some of my most favorite lovely ladies :-)

 Hangin' with Aunt Kelley out on the high seas.

Saturday was the wonderful wedding shower for the sweet Miss. Boyer/Tevis-to-be.  I am so blessed to have her as a sister-in-law!   

1 comment :

  1. Oh, Lydia - it's all so beautiful. What a blessing! Enjoy every scrumptious bite and thanks for posting such beautiful photos. I feel like I'm right there with you in the kitchen. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete