Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Not Our Home

 Over the weekend we lost a little baby lamb that was especially special to us.  It was unexpected, and we still don't really know what caused her to get so sick so fast.  A bit of a back-story for those who don't know--When Sweet Pea was just a few days old, we brought her into the house and she lived happily indoors for couple weeks before going to live with her sheep family.  I continued to bottle feed her until weaning a few weeks ago.  She brought us a lot of joy and laughter!  

Losing sweet little animals never gets any easier, no matter how many times it happens or how "old" and tough you think you are.  Farm life is so glorious...but it can also be quite discouraging and painful!  
Yet, at the same time, we take special comfort in this: Our forever home is not in this sin-stained earth.  Because the farm seems so close to perfect, my eternal perspective is often somewhat fuzzy. Sickness, death, (stinkin' weeds and blackberry bushes) and pain aid in reminding me that we are citizens of a different place...a perfect, beautiful, painless and tearless place.  

"And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God.  ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”
  He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!” Then he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.” ~Rev. 21:3-5

1 comment :

  1. Thanks so much for this encouragement, Lydia! It is so good to continually renew our minds with the truth of God's word!!! There is such hope, peace and joy to be found there, even during such difficult circumstances. Our Heavenly Father loves us so much and greatly wants to comfort and encourage us when we walk through these hard days.
    Love you so much,
    Mommy
    "Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory. Whom have I in heaven but you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

    But as for me, it is good to be near God. I have made the Sovereign Lord my refuge; I will tell of all your deeds."
    Psalm 73:23-26 and 28

    ReplyDelete