Monday, February 3, 2014

Stove Top Mac N' Cheese

Richie says "This makes my taste-buds dance!"
As you probably know, macaroni is super quick and easy to make.  The addition of ground hamburger is a bonus to make this side-dish a main meal, or use up the half pound(+ or -) of leftover ground beef or taco meat.



 Stove Top Mac N' Cheese
4C Uncooked elbow, shells, or other pasta
3 TB whole wheat flour (or white)
1 tsp Sea Salt
1/4 tsp Black Pepper
2 1/4 C Milk*
1/4 C cream cheese, softened
2 tsp dijon mustard
2 Tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp garlic powder or 2 cloves minced garlic
1 1/4 c Shredded cheddar cheese

1.  Cook pasta according to package directions.  Drain and set aside.  Brown a half lb of ground beef if you would like this addition to your macaroni, set aside with pasta.

2.  While pasta cooks, place flour, salt, pepper and milk in a large saucepan.  Stir with a whisk until well blended.  Drop cream cheese by tsp-full into milk mixture.  Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly.  Reduce heat; simmer 2 minutes or until thick and cream cheese melts.  Stir in mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic powder.  Simmer 1 minute.  Remove from heat, add cheddar cheese, stirring until cheese melts.  Add pasta and hamburger to cheese sauce, stir to combine.  To re-heat leftovers, add a little milk to restore creamy texture. 

  *I used homemade coconut milk, since I was out of regular milk.  It was amazingly delicious, and the consistency was even more creamy.  It was slightly sweeter than regular milk.  I also added 2TB grass-fed butter for flavor.  I never knew how handy it would be to have dry shredded coconut sitting around!

6 comments :

  1. Oh wow, this looks really good! :D I'll have to try this for dinner tonight! We do have leftover taco meat, perfect!

    Love you!
    Victoria

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you guys liked it! I know you already have a couple of great macaroni recipes :-) Love you Victoria!

      Delete
  2. You always inspire me with your ability to come up with substitutions for whatever the need may be . . . . like getting 2 1/4 c. milk from dried coconut!!! How did you do that?

    This recipe looks really good and easy!

    Thanks for sharing!
    Love you,
    Mommy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) I read online about making coconut milk, it's good for bath and body products (wanted to make some homemade shampoo) I'll be posting a tutorial on that sometime for people who are interested, as it's really quite easy and delicious!

      Delete
  3. Wow, I would have never thought that about dried coconut =D
    I couldn't help but smile when I saw this recipe on here, because Garret and I just experimented making Homemade Mac n cheese last Saturday ( since we are both cheese lovers to the extreme , lol ;-) ) It was a recipe his mom makes. :-) I absolutely loved it .
    Thank for posting
    God Bless - Hannah ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah, I'm glad you and Garret like macaroni and cheese! :-) We know what to make when you come over lol :-) That's really sweet that you two do cooking together. I'm sure it's a lot more fun that way! Now, you and I need to learn to make our own cheddar for ourselves and our cheese-loving guys, wouldn't that be super!
      Blessings to you too!
      Lydia

      Delete