Thursday, September 12, 2013

Counting Blessings...

God has given us so many good things...I am feeling so blessed today!  The weather has been incredibly hot, in the upper 80's and 90's, (yeah, you Arizonians, go ahead and laugh) but the mornings are beautifully misty and cool.  I am enjoying this fall-like weather so much.

We've had some serious struggles and expenses with vehicle-related issues in the last few days, and as you can imagine, it's been really hard on Richie and discouraging for us both!  But, the knowledge that God is holding us in the palm of his hand--though all of our "little" troubles that can seem so huge and irritating at the time--is especially sweet and encouraging to me today.
****

 I probably should do an entirely separate post for this, but since I don't think I have any friends that are blog police, I'll combine a personal journal entry with a  how-to post. ;-)  So, here 'goes.

  I rarely use sugar anymore.  It's not good for you.  But, I do have the worst sweet-tooth ever.  So, sugar has not been completely extracted from our diet yet.       

DID YOU KNOW
 That you can make your own brown sugar??
And it's EASY!
VERY easy!
 Brown sugar is quite a bit more expensive than white sugar.
Just mix about 2 1/2 tsp of molasses with 1 c. sugar. Or more, or less, depending on your preferences.
TA DA!





We bought a gallon of Molasses at Costco Business.  I wish I could remember what we paid for it so that I could make an accurate price comparison.  But, I didn't feel like diving into my receipts today, so you'll have to trust me on this one.  I'm sure it was way less expensive than buying molasses in the little glass jars. 

 ALSO
(I haven't tried this yet!)
DID YOU KNOW...YOU CAN MAKE YOUR OWN POWDERED SUGAR?!
I read online (so I'm sure it's true) that you simply put your regular cane sugar into a blender or food processor and wizz until it's a light and fluffy.  Wish I had known this years ago when I was too young to drive and was frequently (it seems) out of powdered sugar for frosting and such.   
 *******



And just for some show-and tell...here is my latest addiction...isn't it beautiful?!  Uncle Darrell gave it to me. What a HUGE blessing!!! It is a 1948 Singer sewing machine.  It was kept in perfect condition, and runs as if it was brand-new!  


















Consequently, I am now working on finishing some of the projects that I started before getting married.  This little baby dress was all cut out already, so I worked on putting it together and adding some "cutesies" to it today.  Still needs some finishing touches and a zipper.  Thanks again to Meemom for all of the cute lace and embellishments that you've given me for making these dresses sooooo cute.   

                     

1 comment :

  1. Sure am sorry to hear of your trials with your vehicles. We know how frustrating it can all be! And most of the time it seems that when it "rains" it "pours" with mechanical issues. So good job at renewing your mind with counting your blessings and being thankful for knowing that God is in control of all, and will provide for your every need! You are very blessed to have such a handy husband-mechanic, that can do much of the work on the vehicles . . . even though "Murphy's Law" is still unavoidable at times! But this too shall pass!! Until then, we will be praying with you!! : -)

    I am sooo glad to see a picture of your new sewing machine!! It is a beauty! I am soooo happy for you!!! It is awesome that you are able to pick up sewing again, and that the machine also has such special significance!! We look forward to seeing all your adorable creations!

    Thanks for sharing the brown and powdered sugar tip too!
    Good to know!!

    Love you and Richie so much,
    Mommy





    ReplyDelete