Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Canning Time Already!

It's that time of year again!  Yay!
What a marvelous harvest so far...praise the Lord!  
He has allowed the garden to grow so nicely this year! 

This is the zucchini harvest so far...I turned the big ones and the round ones into relish and frozen shredded zucchini for baking, and the smallish ones into bread and butter pickles.
Lots of green beans!


Picked a few cabbages, too.    A couple of them were over 6 lbs!
I am trying sauerkraut for the first time this year. 
We'll see how it goes.  I do hope it turns out!  

The end result!  4 quarts bread and butter pickles, 12 pints zucchini relish, 14 quarts dilly beans, 7 quarts green beans, and 4 pints of peas!  That was a busy day!
I have enjoyed baking with home-ground flour VERY much.  I have not bought a single bag of flour for months!  This flour makes such beautiful and delicious loaves!


I don't think I've mentioned it here yet, but a great place to get your grains for flour is Azure Standard.  They are based out of Oregon, and have a truck that delivers your ordered goods once a month.  They have a delivery "drop" group in Mossyrock.

 Azure Standard has such a great deal on grains, as well as many other organic bulk foods.  Here is the link to their website, if you are interested.  Also, please feel free to send me a message for more info!
http://www.azurestandard.com/   

3 comments :

  1. That's a beautiful sight, all those jars of pickles and beans lined up there waiting to fill your pantry. And that bread! I can almost smell it, and there's no more wonderful smell than fresh baked bread. Ahhh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it all looks so great! Good job! That bread looks amazing! I can just imagine how especially awesome it is with the freshly ground flour. So happy with you that you're enjoying such a wonderful harvest!
    Love you!
    Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lydia, My aunt does the Autumn in the Country show at the end of September and Richie said you would be interested. She said to email her pictures and what you would be selling. Her email is bruceanddwee@q.com.

    Tonya and Bobby Sanford

    ReplyDelete