Thursday, February 7, 2013

2-7-13

Yesterday was a wonderful day!  Richie had a dr. appointment...they did blood work and they gave the report that everything looked normal, and said that he was doing VERY well.  He can now go back to work, and return to a normal(ish) life!  He'll be working part-time for awhile, but after a month he can go back full time.  He won't have to come in to be checked for 3 months.  Yippee!  He also had his port-a-cath taken out, which is great because we won't have any worries about that getting infected. 

A few days ago I made my first cheddar cheese.  It's not the simplest project (it takes all day!) but I am really hoping it's going to turn out well.  It will have to cure for 3-12 months.  A long time!

Janet and I and all of my sisters went out to the courthouse on Tuesday for a class on food safety.  It was a very good experience, and now we each posses a food handler's card!

Today has been a busy day so far.  We got to socialize with some friends this morning...they brought us a calf that was rejected by it's mother to raise for them until it is old enough to be out in the field with some other cows.  It's an adorable little Angus.  I wish he wasn't so cute...it will be hard for his owners to eat him I am sure!

I also froze some whey in an ice cube tray today.  We'll see what it's like to add it to a frozen smoothie.  I'm hoping it will be really good...at least it will be very good for us! 

You get a lot of whey from a gallon of yogurt.  Fortunately it's just as nutritious for the dogs and chickens as it is for people. 
Well, I've gotta go.  See you later!

2 comments :

  1. Woo hoo! So happy to see your new post! You're remembering to breathe! Yeah! :-)

    I can't tell you how excited we were to get your call yesterday about Richie's good news, clean-bill-of-health appointment. Thank you sooooo much!! We have been rejoicing ever since! God is soooo good!

    That is sooooo awesome about the cheddar cheese! Good job! I'm sure it will turn out great! When it is ready, you should throw a cheese (and whey smoothie?)tasting party! We'll be there! : -)

    So proud of you !!!!!!!
    Love you!
    Mommy
    P.S. In all your free time, :-)we are anxious to see pics of that cute little calf!!!






    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Lydia that is awesome! :-)
    I am sure the little calf is really cute!

    God bless ~ Hannah

    ReplyDelete