Sunday, December 16, 2012

Believe it or not, I'm back!

God has been so good.  These last few days have been the most difficult of our lives, but He has carried us though them! 

Special thanks to my mom for doing such an AMAZING job of keeping everyone updated.  That was such a blessing to me and to all of Richie's friends and family!

The nurse last night and this morning has been wonderful.  She has really been on-top of the program.  Already this morning she requested the orders to take out Richie's catheter, and they got that done already.  Last night they took out the awful artery catheter in Richie's neck.  Now, we are really hoping that the doctors will let him take out the stomach tube through his nose.  It is very irritating to Richie!  Please pray that he would be able to take that out today so he can start eating and drinking!

It was a long night last night...Richie was feeling pretty crummy (mostly because of his awful sore throat, dry and sore tongue, and intense thirst!  He uses a breathing exerciser every hour (if he is awake) to prevent pneumonia.  I've been able to feed him ice chips through the day and night, which is at least a little refreshing!  I asked him once if he needed anything, and he said with a little smile "Only about a gallon of tea."  
His fever has even come down, praise the Lord!  Another prayer request is that Richie would be able to start coming of the pain meds.  They make the poor guy so tired and confused sometimes!  I've heard about all sorts of different dreams so far, last night he even held out his hand and said "hi" as if he had just met me :-)  I just had to laugh and oblige him, but then also kiss his hand and cheek like a new acquaintance would not have done. 

Last night I was so exhausted sometimes I wasn't sure I'd be able to sit up in bed without falling asleep, let alone get up and do what needed to be done.  The Lord gave me strength.  Although I still have no appetite, I'm sure it will be back soon.  Thank you so much Kari and Aunt Sheila for the delicious cookies and bread.  It's helped me remember to eat! 

There are still going to be some very difficult days ahead as Richie tries to get up and get moving more often.  It's pretty painful for him right now, but he knows it's important and that it will help get him outta here sooner.  There are no words to describe how hard it has been to see so many painful things happen to Richie.  He's so tough it amazes me.  And then he's all smiles for the nurses and PCT's even though he feels terrible.  They wonder if it's jut his pain meds.  I know it's not.   I told him once "You just made that nurse's day."  and he replied groggily, but confidently "That's what we're here for."  What a guy. 

Thank you so much for all of your prayers.  Richie was feeling pretty discouraged last night wondering if he'd ever make it through this.  I reminded him of all of you.  What an amazing blessing to have such a huge "Team Tevis" holding us up in prayer.  You guys are awesome!  It's going to be a slow process, so please pray for strength, perseverance, and patience for both of us!  We love you guys!

In the middle of the night last night we read Psalm 16.  I found it very appropriate and comforting.  But then again, what scripture isn't?!

PSALM 16 
1 Preserve me, O God, for I take refuge in You.
2 I said to the LORD, “You are my Lord;
          I have no good besides You.”
3 As for the saints who are in the earth,
          They are the majestic ones in whom is all my delight.
4 The sorrows of those who have bartered for another god will be multiplied;
          I shall not pour out their drink offerings of blood,
          Nor will I take their names upon my lips.
5 The LORD is the portion of my inheritance and my cup;
          You support my lot.
6 The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places;
          Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me.
7 I will bless the LORD who has counseled me;
          Indeed, my mind instructs me in the night.
8 I have set the LORD continually before me;
          Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken.
9 Therefore my heart is glad and my glory rejoices;
          My flesh also will dwell securely.
10 For You will not abandon my soul to Sheol;
          Nor will You allow Your Holy One to undergo decay.
11 You will make known to me the path of life;
          In Your presence is fullness of joy;
          In Your right hand there are pleasures forever.

2 comments :

  1. Lydia, It is so good to get an update this morning! We have been praising God for His hand upon you and Richie. We are continuing to lift you both up, for Richies complete and speedy healing, and for your strength thru this also. We are in constant praise to God for His touch thru the surgery, and His miraculous guidance for the Drs., and the turnout of the surgery. I wake up during the night, and praise Him! What an awesome God we serve! Give Richie a big hug for us, and we're sending you one also. Remember to eat! You have to take care of yourself also! We can't wait to see you both. 1 Peter 1:6-9 We want to share these verses with you. Papa Jerke has found comfort thru the years thru these. We love you lots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! We love you guys and miss you so much. We pray for you whenever we think of you also. We, too are praising God for the wonderful things He has done! Thank you for sharing the verse with us, we will look it up and read it once the nurse gets Richie's pain medication re-hung ;-) I'll give Richie a nice gentle hug from you guys in a minute if you guys will give eachother a hug from us! LOVE YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete