Monday, October 22, 2012

10-22-12

Our meeting with the doctors to talk about Richie’s surgery went very well last Wednesday.  As we expected, it’s going to be a very serious, long surgery.  Richie will have to be on a breathing tube for at least a day, and in the ICU for two.  Then he will have to stay for another 7-8 days in the hospital.  There is a 50/50 chance that they will have to remove his right kidney because there is so much junk wrapped around it.  They will also have to take out part of the inferior vena cava vein (the largest vein in your body that carries deoxygenated blood from your lower parts back to your heart) which will cause some fluid to build up in Richie’s legs.  He may have to wear compression stockings for as long as a year.  They’re also taking out some nerves that will, in all probability, cause us to be unable to conceive naturally. 

But overall, we are just SO thankful for the confidence that the doctors have.  They say they do this all the time, and we know that they are very skilled!  But even more, we know that the Lord is the Greatest Physician, and there will be so many people praying for Him to guide the surgeon’s hands.  There is nothing too big or complicated for God!  But yet, surgery is a scary thing.  I used to wonder why people get so anxious and uptight about it when really; you’re more likely to be killed in a car accident on the way to the hospital than to have any complications from the surgery.  Nevertheless, it’s almost a sickening thought when I think that my very own husband is going to go back there to be cut into, and that he will be unconscious for such a long time.  It’s going to make him better yes, it’s saving his life…but still.  I wish it could be me instead.  God has definitely given me a deeper sympathy for the family members (and especially wives) of surgery patients!    

I was encouraged today by these insights from Charles Spurgeon.  It is when we find ourselves empty and cast down—when we acknowledge our weakness—that the Lord fills us with His strength and perseverance.    

“Those who serve God must serve Him in His own way, and in His strength, or He will never accept their service. That which man doth, unaided by divine strength, God can never own. The mere fruits of the earth He casteth away; He will only reap that corn, the seed of which was sown from heaven, watered by grace, and ripened by the sun of divine love. God will empty out all that thou hast before He will put His own into thee; He will first clean out thy granaries before He will fill them with the finest of the wheat. The river of God is full of water; but not one drop of it flows from earthly springs. God will have no strength used in His battles but the strength which He Himself imparts. Are you mourning over your own weakness? Take courage, for there must be a consciousness of weakness before the Lord will give thee victory. Your emptiness is but the preparation for your being filled, and your casting down is but the making ready for your lifting up.” – Charles Spurgeon

2 Corinthians 4:16-18  “So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison,  as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are temporary, but the things that are unseen are eternal.”

I need to be reminded every day to stay focused on the things that are of eternal value.  Our lives are but a vapor in the wind, here today, gone tomorrow.  I want to live every second of my life with an eternal perspective, making the most of every day that has been allotted to me.  But some days, it’s more difficult than others.  Some things just aren’t going to matter after all is said and done.  My relationship with the Lord is ETERNAL.    I know there will be regrets when I stand before the throne of God…I will wish that I had done more for His Kingdom,  I will wish that I did not pursue and obsess over trivial fears and material things that will not last or make a difference in the end.  Relationships are what matter.  Help me Lord to prioritize and concentrate more fully on my relationship with my hubby, with family, friends, and most importantly, with you!    

5 comments :

  1. Cast all your care upon Him for he careth for you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. We are so blessed and inspired by all that the Lord is doing in and through you. Thank you so much for sharing such awesome things.

    So proud of you. I love you two more than words can say,
    Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lydia~ Thanks you for sharing your heart and being so real! We love you guys and will continue holding you up in prayer for all that lies ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for bravely sharing your story, Lydia. It is a huge encouragement to me. I am keeping you and Richie in my prayers. I am so glad I got to meet him this summer when we were up for Emily and Daniel's wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Lydia for speaking words of truth and calling us to deeper relationship and obedience. I'm so blessed by how you are choosing joy and choosing to glorify God even in the dark times. Love you guys and continue to stand with you in prayer.

    ReplyDelete