Saturday, September 22, 2012

9-22-12

Last night was a long night! 
Richie's red blood cells were very low again, so they decided he would need a couple more units of blood.  Well, because you can only run so many things at once (1 port, 1 peripheral IV) we had to wait until both of the 1 hr chemo drugs were finished (around 9pm or so.)  When the nurse starts the transfusion, she has to stay in the room and monitor Richie for 15 minutes.  Then take "vitals" then come in and take vitals every hour until all of the blood is gone.  The transfusions finally finished about 3:30 this morning.  

We're so ready to be home!  We've both just about reached the end of our ropes physically and emotionally.  Richie's been so strong though all of these awful drugs...he's just about had it though.  I'm so glad this is our last day!  Maybe we can start to live a sort of normal life.  One thing I know for sure is that this has given me even more of an appreciation for how most of the time God keeps our bodies all in working order.  Just a slight malfunction and everything goes downhill.  I don't think I've stopped to thank Him for good health as often as I should in the past.  Now I really know just what a blessing it is to be able to do normal every-day things.   

3 comments :

  1. You both have (and are still) gone through deep waters. Of course you know He is with you. Jeanie and pray daily for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ''Be not afraid for I will be with you, be not afraid I have called you by name..... you are mine, you are precious in my sight.''


    You are precious in His sight! :-)

    Thinking and praying for you without ceasing!
    Your sis in Christ, Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sweet Lydia --

    Your detailed chronicling of this trial has given an enlightening glimpse into the nitty-gritty of cancer treatment. So many people are touched by cancer these days that it becomes easy for us (me!) to miss the daily and cumulative physical and emotional toll that is taken on both patient and family. I know you haven't had such lofty purposes for your blog, but God can use our small offerings in mighty ways. Love you!

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete