Friday, August 10, 2012

8-10-12

 The last few days have been rather uneventful here, which is good I suppose.  I think this round of chemo has hit Richie a little harder than the last one, but thankfully there are many options as far as anti-nausea medications.  This time they have tried a couple of IV meds...those are much nicer for Richie since his gag reflux is so bad. 

On Tuesday night one of the connections at the pump for one of the chemo drugs malfunctioned and leaked.  Thankfully Richie saw the drips before too much had spilled.  As interesting as it was to watch the hospital's hazmat regimen in action, we weren't at all thrilled with the set back.  The nurses had to order an entirely new bag from the pharmacy, which always takes time.   Looks like we won't get to leave until Sunday morning, since right off the bat our first nurse wanted to get the (over1hr each) etopiside and cisplatin started before the 20hr Ifosfomide.  It's good to know that ALL THINGS are part of God's perfect plan whether we like them or not. :-)   All-in-all, I think it will be better for Richie to leave in the morning rather than Saturday evening, because he always feels the best in the mornings. 

We've had an even better time talking with the nurses this time than last, I think.  As much as I look forward to being done with this whole thing, I keep thinking about how sad it will be when it is over and we don't get to come back and see these people again!   We've had some fun and in-depth conversations with a few in particular.  Maybe we'll still get to be in-touch with a few of these sweet folks.  Who knows!

Right now Richie is just trying to get some rest.  Sleep has proved the best way to pass the time, as he doesn't usually feel up to reading or watching TV.  As I sit here on my cot quietly typing away, I can't help watching him and thinking about how much I love him.  I love his sense of humor, he tends to keep me and everyone else cheered up even though he's the one feeling the yuckiest.  He has a selflessness that only God can give.  He hardly complains, nor would I blame him for it if he felt like doing so more regularly!  Even before I married Richie I knew I had a lot to learn from his example and leadership.  Now, more than I imagined.  And as much as I love him now, I have no doubt that my admiration and love for him will only grow over time, as God continues to conform us both to Himself.  I am constantly praying that God would grant us many, many years together as husband and wife.  I pray that regardless of how many trials we encounter, how many years we are given, how many disputes or mis-understandings may come about as a result of two sinful and imperfect people living together; that I will never take the privilege of being Richie's wife for grated.  What a guy.  I love him so much I can hardly stand it.   It's hard to even fathom God's love for us, since He loves Richie even more than I do.  Wow :-)

Thanks again to all of you for continuing to pray for us.  Thank you for your uplifting emails...I'm sorry if I haven't emailed some of you back, I forget sometimes with all that is going on.  But they all really do mean so much to us, and we are so thankful for every one!  Thank you to all of my sweet siblings, Valerie, Victoria, Caroline, Kyle, Timmy, Joe, and Benjamin for your wonderful notes and drawings...they brighten our day!  Thank you to the Sympson family for your sweet card and all of your prayers, to Janet and Rich for coming to see us and cheering us up and making our day go so much faster yesterday, to Daddy and my "bros" for stopping by to see us this morning!!!!  We love you!!!




4 comments :

  1. I have a dear Christian friend who is going through breast cancer treatment, and she has named it the "Journey I'd Never Trade" because she knows she will have so many opportunities to share Christ with her medical staff and other patients she meets along the way. It sounds to me like you and Richie are deciding to have a similar journey. May God bless your efforts and multiply them exponentially, and may He keep you in His tender care. ♥ xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your wonderful writing. Richie is indeed an amazing man, and you are truly blessed to be his wife. We are so blessed by him, too! God has been so good in bringing you two together. We are so thankful! And no doubt, you have BEEN blessed to BE a blessing. May the Lord multiply His blessings upon your lives.

    Tears of joy flow as I read your heartfelt words and see your beautiful pictures. So heartwarming knowing these are a few of your most favorite (and Phil. 4:8)things that you are dwelling on.

    Good thing Sandy is so cute, huh? : -)

    My heart is happier now! : -)
    I love you,
    Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lydia, you are wise beyond your years! God has prepared you especially for this.

    BTW, was that tansy ragwort in the picture with the horses? Tsk, tsk!

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a blessing Lydia!
    Your post reminded me of this verse ~
    Philippians 1: 27
    ''Only let your conversation be as it becometh the gospel of Christ... that ye stand fast in one spirit , with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel.''

    God has sent us here to tell others about Jesus and that is what you and Richie are doing.
    God Bless you!
    Love~ Hannah :-)

    ReplyDelete