Saturday, July 28, 2012


Hello there, sorry it's been awhile since I've posted any updates.  The last few days have been kind of crazy. 

Tuesday we went back to Seattle to meet with Richie's doctor.  They did a blood test and determined that he was pretty dehydrated, so we had to stay there for several hours while they gave him a litre of water though IV and then drank a litre.  The doctor instructed us to do another blood draw at the hospital in Centralia on Wednesday, and they would send the results up to Seattle.  On Wednesday afternoon the Dr. called and said that Richie's creatinine level was still higher than he would like, so Richie was to continue to drink lots of water and get tested again on Thursday.  So Richie drank, and drank, and drank and drank (gallons) and we were all worried he was overdoing it! 

To make a long story short, Richie ended up being hospitalized in Seattle again on Thursday because the blood draw that day indicated that his creatinine was still going up, rather than down and that had the doctor concerned.  So several hours after arrival at the hospital in Seattle they took him down for an ultrasound of his kidney (the one with the stent) and found nothing abnormal.

We weren't happy to be back in that place , especially since the hospital floor was too full to put us in a private room.  They told us that Richie's white blood  cells are 0 right now, so that was our main concern.  We didn't sleep more than a couple hours that night because of our room mate and all of the nurses he was calling in, not to mention the normal hospital goings-on.   

Thankfully, Richie's creatinine started dropping that afternoon, and we were able to go home around noon Friday.  They dont' seem very concerned about it...I guess there are several things that can cause your creatinine to rise; the chemo, low hydration, and the breakdown of proteins from the cancer cells.  The communication was really bad unfortunately, so we didn't exactly know why the doctor was suddenly calling us back to Seattle, what they were doing to do until they were 2 minutes from doing it.  It was a little scary, but it all turned out ok!  And I know it us because of all of your prayers for us!!!


  1. Your pictures are so beautiful Lydia! :-)
    Thinking and praying for you everyday. God is so good. :-)

    Love in Christ ~ Hannah

  2. Crossroads RanchJuly 29, 2012 at 7:49 AM

    Good morning! Thanks so much for the beautiful pictures! The garden looks wonderful! Love all the colors of the flowers and the red barn! And the black and white tea kettle is really awesome! Oh, and sweet Sandy is just plain . . .sweet! I just want to reach out and give her a big hug. It's so good to see everything. We hope to see it all in person soon, and be able to see you all, too, as we miss you two sooooo much!
    I love you,

  3. Hi Lydia! Beautiful pictures!
    Sorry to hear about the less than extraordinary week for Richie. But I'm glad things turned out ok. Praying that this week will go much better.
    Sending great big hugs and love to you both!