Monday, January 9, 2012

Of Healthcare and Medicine

I’ve been interested in health, nursing, and medical education for as long as I can remember.  I guess I just love the idea of being able to take care of people, to be able to help meet their physical as well as spiritual needs.  When I was quite a bit younger, I took the responsibility of “nurse” for all of my younger sisters and brothers. :-)   Whether they needed them or not, I would go running to bring cold-packs and band-aids to crying siblings.  Now, as I see our healthcare system deteriorate and the good moral character of the American people shrivel,  learning to take care of ourselves and finding good healthcare alternatives has become even more important and interesting to me.  In many cases our know-how in treating/curing/preventing anything from simple diseases, to more serious wounds, to practicing proper physical therapy, could be life and death for a family member, a friend, or any individual caught in the cross-fire of a desperate, immoral and suffering mob of humanity.  And it is not that I don’t believe God is capable of protecting us and keeping us safe…far from it.  It is because I trust Him more than Obama Care that I want to be prepared to take more responsibility for my family’s health.  I simply won’t have any aged or severely wounded/retarded family member sent to a hospital where the doctor’s advice is euthanasia because the treatment this individual needs is too expensive to make it worthwhile.  If God wanted us to have a system like this, He might have given Adam and Eve a government to see to all their needs and decide for them who of their decedents gets to live and who doesn’t.  It always reminds me of the Old Testament story of how the Israelites were complaining and asking for a King.  Suddenly, their Heavenly King was not enough for them, they wanted an earthly one.  They thought that they would be better off this way.  But when God granted them their wish and put Saul on the throne, they quickly realized the negative ramifications of that wish.  Now they had to pay taxes and live under the rule of a power-seeking and sinful human being who could never care for them like their Father did. 

Jesus instructed that we “render unto Cesar what is Cesar’s.”  I don’t believe that healthcare is something that should be controlled by Cesar (the federal government.)  I also believe that failing to prayerfully prepare ourselves for a Christ-dependent lifestyle rather than a State-controlled one is almost like committing suicide.  We don’t know what is going to happen in the next few years…things may straighten out and America could be back to the way it was years ago (although I highly doubt it!)  Jesus could come and take us all tomorrow and nothing we did to prepare will do us any good.  That’s why we don’t want to obsess ourselves with nothing but preparedness for the immanent breakdown of our world as we know it.  Our 1st priority must be our walk with the Lord, as well as reaching out to our friends and families who we know need Him more than they need a good year’s stock-pile of food.
James Rawles, a very conservative Christian and the writer of Survival Blog.Com explained this well in his Prayer Page: 

“One of the many names of God is Jehovah Jireh, which means God who provides. As a Christian, I believe that God will provide for his covenant people. I believe that one of the many gifts that the God has provided is a conviction, by the Holy Spirit, to be well prepared. I realize that we are only on Earth for about 80 trips around the sun, and that is just the twinkling of an eye versus eternity. Where we end up after this brief life is far, far more important in the grand scheme of things. We will spend eternity either in heaven or in hell. But how we spend our +/-80 year life on Earth is up to us. (And the most important thing that we do in the is life is make ourselves right with God, though his Grace, to accepting eternal life in heaven. But stepping back to this temporal world: The Bible makes it very clear that we are to be good stewards of the blessings that God provides us. I therefore feel strongly convicted to not just share the gospel of Christ, but also to physically prepare for my own family, and store extra to dispense as charity. The bottom line: I can't continue to share the gospel if I starve to the point of achieving room temperature”!
  
Here is a link the “Prayer Page” where I copied the above quoted material: http://www.survivalblog.com/prayer.html

Here is the link to the Survival Blog: http://www.survivalblog.com/

Well, my plan today was to post some of the things I've been reading about...medical treatments, antibiotics, antiseptics, and other medications that have been used by survival nurses for years with wonderful results.  Many medications that are used for animals are more than suitable for human use and can be purchased at feed stores to save you quite a bit of money.  I think I’ll put that in a different post though, since this one grew to be rather lengthy!

No comments :

Post a Comment