Saturday, December 24, 2011

'Twas the Night After Christmas~


‘Twas the night after Christmas and all through the house

Not a person was saved, not one in the house.

Our rarely-read Bible was nowhere in sight,

Who would have thought that tonight was the night?

Our children were safely carried to bed,

With visions of Santa Claus still in their heads.

As Mom cleaned the table, I turned out the lights,

Heaved a sigh of relief and called it a night.



We climbed up the stairs and crawled into bed.

Not once was a prayer even thought, much less said.

When out of the East there arose such a clatter,

We sprang out of bed. "What on Earth was the matter?"

Away to the window I flew like a flash,

Tore open the blinds and threw up the sash,

When what to my wondering eye should appear,

But the armies of Heaven! Jesus was here!



As I looked at the sky now rolled back as a scroll,

I suddenly realized the need of my soul.

My neighbor said Jesus was coming one day.

I foolishly said: "You’re crazy! NO way!"

My neighbor persisted, he spoke of the Savior.

But I foolishly trusted in my "good behavior."

My neighbor persisted some more ‘til I said:

"I’ve heard quite enough! Now that’s enough said!

I don’t lie, cheat, or steal. I don’t gamble or drink!"

"I live a good life. Now that’s what I think!"



As I gazed at the heavens now brilliant with light,

I had to admit that my neighbor was right!

I rushed down the stairs, out into the street,

Hoping my neighbor again I would meet.

But once out the door, I just fell to the ground.

My neighbor was gone, nowhere to be found!

But Jesus was there! It was Jesus himself!

I had to bow down in spite of myself.



This was no movie, no Hollywood magic!

This was all real and horribly tragic!

Just hours before I sat at my table,

And said that the Bible was legends and fables.

My family and friends all laughed and agreed.

Not one of us saw our own spiritual need.



Jesus had finally returned like he said,

To judge all mankind, both the living and dead.

Now the words of this poem are painfully clear;

The coming of Jesus is ever so near!

He’s coming again like a thief in the night,

To save those who live by faith and not sight.

I was ready for "Christmas,"

I was ready indeed!

But to be ready for Christ is everyone’s need!



No comments :

Post a Comment