Wednesday, November 30, 2011

More to Learn from Jesus

“Jesus’ concern was to do the thing that pleased His Father.  If He could at the same time avoid offense, He did that.  If in being obedient, He at times horrified men of high reputation—indeed, of religious reputation—and appeared to be acting contrary to the law of God; He counted it of no consequence.”  
 ~The liberty of obedience p.34

“For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me.”  John 6:38

I was just thinking again today about how thankful I am for the Bible.  I can’t even imagine living without it!  We can learn so much from all of the examples set in His word…and most of all, from our Savior Jesus!

As our church has been studying through Matthew, it has been so intriguing to me to see how Jesus dealt with the Jews and religious leaders of the day.  He would word his parables in ways that would not easily offend some, yet He was still setting that example of someone who is “not ashamed of the gospel.”  At times he would simply “say it as it is,” and use what we might think of as rather harsh language.  At other times, He was careful not to get anyone riled up because he knew that it was not yet the right time.  All he cared about was doing what the Father had sent him to do and in the way that would glorify Him.  

It is so freeing when we finally embrace obedience and realize that (1) God is in control (2) He will enable us to do everything he asks of us (3) He will be with us through every step (4) He will be honored and glorified by or obedience (5) He wants the best for us (Even when His is best for us may not be exactly what we had in mind.  His best for many of his followers was/is persecution)

Jesus was perfect in the way he spoke, the words and parables that he used, and the answers that He gave, but yet he did not worry about what people thought of him.  He was God, and yet MANY religious officials took offence at his perfect Biblical stance and teaching.  How much more can I expect that, because of my imperfect sinful state others may disapprove, take offence, or question my very own words and actions?  Sometimes I wonder why I am so surprised when Christian sisters and brothers are taken aback with some of my/our convictions methods or stances.  Sometimes they’re flat-out shocked.  Sometimes, I am afraid of what they will say or think, so I beat around the bush.  How I regret that!  It should be so reliving to be able to say “hey, I’m terribly sorry to scare you guys, but I’m not just making this up… I have based my convictions on the perfect, infallible, inspired Word of God.”  J  

1 comment :

  1. It does take courage to not beat around the bush! Blessings as you continue on your journey through life.

    ReplyDelete