Sunday, September 4, 2011

Sunday, Sept. 4th 2011

We’ve had a fun weekend!
Well, besides the horrible stomach aches anyway…but that’s another story.  

Labor Day weekend is always a huge garage-sale-ing (that’s what we call it anyway :-) adventure for our family.  There’s a town called Packwood just east of us, where they hold an enormous flea-market type of thing over the weekend.

Friday we hit garage sales all along hwy 12 from Onalaska to Morton.  We found some great deals, and picked up a few things we never knew we needed.  I didn’t find any of the things I was actually looking for, but that was to be expected.  I did get a very nice sewing machine, so that made me very happy! 

Saturday we decided to brave Packwood, the traffic, rusty silverware, dusty broken overpriced antique raccoon traps, hillbillies with their colorful vocabulary, rebel flags and all. 

To make a long story short, we decided that going to Packwood wasn’t exactly our cup ‘a tea.
Grandpa, those places TOTALLY reminded us of the I-Spy computer games we did with you!

At the garage sales, people are trying to get rid of their stuff.  At the flea market, they’re trying to actually make money and sell their “antique” frying pans and doorknobs for a million dollars a piece.

I think people selling their stuff secretly rub their hands together in excitement while greedily licking their lips when they see our 15 passenger van pull up full of people.  

And I’m one of those types that doesn’t like to walk away from a sale without buying anything from the poor sellers.  Seems like it would make them feel like I didn’t like anything they own, and the truth is…I didn’t ;-)  I wish there was a more gentle way to break it to them than turning and walking away.  Ha

Pentecostals must be starting to wear skirts more often than not…or something.  Because that’s the new thing.  People used to think we were Mormon or Catholic…now we’re Pentecostal “because we have long hair and skirts.”  They should have seen Valerie’s hair when it all got chopped off by (my creative (?)  sister Victoria several weeks ago, or mine when I was between the age of 8-9 lol  I find it funny.  And they seem to find our answer “we just like to look like girls” rather unexciting.   

It’s hard enough remembering my name, age, and grade. In addition, I’ve found it’s important that I buckle down and memorize that I’m a Junior.  For a few months anyway.  Then I’ll have to re-memorize everything all over again.  Sigh. 


On a more serious note, today I’ve been thinking a lot about the phrase “God’s timing is perfect.”  
I started to grumble in my head Thursday night-Saturday “why did I have to get sick this weekend.  I have things to do and places to go. Even in something as silly as that, the Lord is rebuking me and teaching me.  Sometimes His perfect timing doesn’t look perfect to me.  Yet it always is.  Always.  I have things to do and places to go, but maybe He has something else to teach me.  I am convinced that no single event in the life of a Christian happens by chance.  There’s a purpose for it all.  And I have to be willing to rest knowing that God’s timing is always the best and only timing I would ever want to live according to. 

No comments :

Post a Comment