Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Pasta and chips!

I’ve been looking all over for a pasta maker for quite some time.  Silly me,  I never even thought to ask Meemom and Papa Bob if they had one!

Well, guess what, they had 3 of them!  Thank you Meemom! 

And so, the pasta making adventure begins.  One of the makers, (which is a Simac pastamatic, I think) is electric and mixes and kneads the dough for you.   I made a whole bunch of ziti-type noodles today, and intend on making them into mac-and-cheese for dinner.

I even tried making some whole-wheat pasta.  It was a little tricky to get it to be the right consistency, but I am very pleased with the end result!

Now my family is going to be on a diet of lasagna, spaghetti, mac-and-cheese, stroganoff, chicken noodle soup and baked ziti forev…a while at least J

Pasta is cheap, easy, and is perfect when you only have a few things on hand.  
Whole Wheat Pasta:
1 Lb. Flour (I used mostly whole wheat, but I added a little white flour just in case)
4 Eggs
Salt (if desired)
Water (I needed a few tsp. for each batch)

It takes a few times to get the hang of what consistency it should be.  I thought pasta was supposed to be the easiest thing in the world to make, yet I threw a good 3 batches away before I got my egg noodles right for soup.  Just hang in there, you’ll figure it out!

Basic Pasta:
2 C. Flour
2 eggs
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. water (possibly more or less)


Daddy picked up this chip-making thing called a chip-o-matic. (What is it with that matic theme?) Anyway, Daddy has been begging me to make some chips with this doohickey, so I tried it out today.
They turned out a lot better than we expected.  You put this thing in the microwave with all the chips stuck in it, and they cook.  No oil needed. 
It seems pretty healthy since they aren’t fried in oil…but then I got to thinking about that plastic the chips cook in.  Hmmm. Pick your poison…heart attack or cancer.
I love chips J 



There's nothing better than home-grown potatoes!





Just don't do what I did and walk out to the garden and get distracted picking cukes and beans.
It's sort of a joke now, I always set the microwave for much longer than I should, thinking that I will open it before everything crispafies.  Bad.  Very bad.  It's a habit that needs to be broken.  Now I can only use half :-(

No comments :

Post a Comment