Monday, September 12, 2011

Baking your own bread

I keep reading all over the Internet that one of the best ways to save money is to bake your own bread.  (The Internet is always right, right? :-) Not to mention homemade bread tastes waaaaay better and is much healthier.  About a year ago, I calculated what the cost of making 2 loaves of oatmeal bread was. (I was intending on selling it to some friends.)  Unfortunately, I can't remember the exact numbers, but it was somewhere around  $1.00 a loaf.  And this was special oatmeal bread that contained quite a bit of oatmeal (obviously, you say;-) and brown sugar, two extra ingredients that add quite a bit to the price.   

This is just an encouragement to those out there who still buy the fake kind at the store! We buy the fake bread at Costco, because I can't always keep up with our household's demand ;-)  Especially when it gets so hot, I hate to turn on the oven.  But as many seem to believe, the more you can bake at home, the better.    

Here's the easiest, cheapest, neatest recipe ever.  We always have these few ingredients on hand, you probably do too!

http://lifehacker.com/5287212/make-fresh+baked-bread-in-five-minutes

1 comment :

  1. Oh, and the aroma of fresh baked bread in the house is the BEST! I think this might be on the top of my list of why home baked bread is better than store bought! We are all sooooooooooooooo blessed in many ways by your labor of love in baking such delicious bread. Thank you, thank you!
    Love you,
    Mommy

    ReplyDelete