Sunday, August 7, 2011

Whew!

It’s been quite the weekend.
Friday my sisters and I left early to go shopping all day.  And it was special, because it was the first time I've ever driven them all that far, and for so many hours.  We loved it!  It’s nice to be able to do that now, especially since I rarely ever get away from home and to the 'big city.' (Chehalis/Centralia or Olympia/Tumwater) :-)
I did pretty well, considering I generally pay very little attention to the street names and signs when my parents are driving.  Embarrassingly enough, after living here 7 years, I still can’t find my way around downtown Centralia.  It’s confusing over there, and I couldn’t find the street the thrift store was supposed to be on.  Oh well.  I’ll get it all figured out someday ;-)  We also ‘took a tour’ around north Olympia…but I knew EXACTLY where I was going the entire time. LOL
Friday evening, us girls decided to play in the Mossyrock Talent Show at the highschool.  It was…ah ha…different.  We girls just don’t do performance.  And we felt a little out of place to begin with…we were playing a slowish hymn and 2 upbeat country/bluegrass type hymns, and all the other kids were singing ‘he loves me, he loves me not, she loves him, but I love him, and I used to love you but now I don’t’ songs.  Plus, the sound system (if you could call it that) wasn't great, and the piano was WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY out of tune, and we had to be cut short because…ahem…our sweet M.C., Mrs. Birley, LOVES to talk. :-)  Oh well!  It was still fun!  It was the very first talent show ever put on by the MAAL, so I have to give ‘em some slack.  And they must have liked us, because we won second place!   
I think we shocked a lot of people…several of them asked if we were “from around here?”  I think they were confused wondering who we are, where we came from, and where we’ve all been hiding. :-)  It’s a pretty close community here in Mossyrock, I’m seeing it more and more every year as I get more involved with the people.  Anyhow, our grandparents did ballroom dancing at the talent show as well, and they were AWESOME.  It is obvious how much the enjoy it. 
Saturday was the Mossyrock Blueberry Festival.  The family helped me set up my soap booth on the main street, and then they went on to the Blueberry pancake breakfast at the A.G. church.  Then they all went back to the house and loaded up the animals in a trailer, and drove down to the end of the parade staging area to get set up.  Caroline and Victoria rode their horses, Valerie walked a sheep, Papa bob walked a goat,  Daddy walked out in front with Benjamin and our big Crossroads Ranch sign, and Timmy and Joe and some little girls from church pulled a wagon and threw candy.  The best part was Meemom dressed up in a “granny” outfit (big, floppy hat, apron and such) bringing up the rear as a “pooper-scooper” It was a funny sight.  They even won a plaque for being the kid’s favorite. 
I had an awesome time selling soap there.  It was exciting to talk to so many fun, happy people, and I got to see quite a few good friends.  It was an awesome, but exhausting day.  The only thing I don’t like about selling at these types of events, is the fact that I’m stuck in that booth all day, when I’d kind of like to walk around and see things.  And I don’t dare leave my booth, or Mr. Holborn goes back behind my table and starts calling out to people that I’m having a “half off everything” sale.  ;-)    
Pictures to come soon!

No comments :

Post a Comment