Monday, August 15, 2011


Psalm 37:3
“Trust in the Lord and do good; dwell on the land and cultivate faithfulness.”  
Being an avid gardener, I love the language of this verse.  It is amazing to me sometimes how living a Godly life so closely parallels growing crops in so many ways.  

 The definition of cultivate is:
1. To prepare and use land for crops or gardening,
2. To break up soil in preparation for sowing or planting.  

Cultivate faithfulness.  Prepare the soil.  Trust in the Lord and do good.  Prepare that soil! 
I know from experience that, when gardening, the soil is everything.  I have one garden bed in particular that has terrible soil in it.  Nothing except onions and garlic grow well in that bed, compared with the rest of the garden.  The success of my garden is very dependant on the nutrients available to the roots of the plants.  Corn and anything in the squash family are heavy feeders and need quite a bit of nitrogen.  Carrots grow much larger roots if you plant them in soil with very little nitrogen content.  The care that I have taken in preparing the soil is one of the huge determining factors to whether or not I’ll have healthy plants that produce a good amount of fruit.  

So what might “preparing the soil for faithfulness” look like practically?  I’m thinking it has a lot to do with being a good example of someone who has been born again, and being faithful to show the world what the Christian walk looks like.  This prepares people for hearing and accepting the truth of the Gospel.     

I think of the application for cultivating faithfulness in our own families; preparing the soil for your children and grand children, and great grandchildren, and all the generations after that.  It’s interesting how generational so many things are when you think about it.  Personality, character traits, physical traits, language, attitudes, beliefs, and world views are oftentimes passed down from generation to generation.  Faithfulness to God’s Word, a love for the Lord, and a passion for Godliness are the first and most vitally important things that could ever be passed on to your children.  You might not see much progress when you’re doing the hard dirty work of tilling up the land and hauling in the manure now, but at harvest time you will “reap what you sow.”  That’s something that I forget all to quickly sometimes.  Where I invest my time and money is going to bring out results later on.  Most important is that I am investing my time in studying God’s word and applying it, as well as building relationships with my family, friends, neighbors, and strangers!    

2 comments :

  1. Lydia, have you heard these 3 Laws of Sowing and Reaping?
    1. We reap WHAT we sow.
    You won't get beans sowing corn
    2. We reap MORE than we sow.
    A kernal of corn gets many ears.
    3. We reap in a different Season.
    Not today or tomorrow but later.

    Love, Papa

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really neat Papa! I've never seen those 3 rules before. What awesome thoughts. Thank you so much!
    Love you and miss you tons,
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete