Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Sweet Victory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's been a challenging few days, but this was an exciting victory for me!


Finally, I've made a cheese that actually tastes good!!!!  Uh huh! 
 It's sheep milk ricotta cheese. (Don't remind me it's the easiest cheese you could possibly try:-)   

Anyhow, here is the recipe, and what I did:

2 Quarts sheep milk (Or whatever milk you would like to use)
1/4 cup lemon juice
3 TB vinegar

Heat milk to 200 degrees, add lemon juice and vinegar, and bring back to 200. 















 The cheese will begin to separate from the whey
Let it sit, undisturbed for 15 minutes.  This cheese making thing really requires patience.  Especially when you're waiting for it go get up to the proper temperature.  I've burned milk many more times than I'd like to admit.  :-)
Get out a strainer and a bowl that will fit underneath.  Put the strainer in the bowl, and a cheese cloth (or a nice thin piece of extra scrap fabric :-) in the strainer. 
Strain your cheese, and squeeze out some of the whey.  The whey that is left over can be fed to all sorts of barnyard critters, or used in a recipe if you don't have any animals.  It's really good for you!

That's it for ricotta cheese!  Add salt and pepper to taste...

OR....

Make filling for tortellinis or ravioli!!!
This turned out FABULOUS. 
You will need:
The ricotta cheese you just made (about 2 1/2 Cups)
salt
pepper
parsley flakes (fresh would be best)
1 large egg
1/8 cup Parmesan cheese
2 cups mozzarella cheese
All you do is mix these together.  Ta da! You have filling.  It's Sooooo good.  In my humble opinion.   I'm going to let it sit in the fridge overnight, and then make some tortellinis for dinner :-) 
You could also use this (maybe without the egg if you're worried about disease) as an awesome addition to a salad. 


2 comments :

  1. But who is gonna milk the sheep for me???


    Maybe I will contribute by just showing up to eat when it is ready to eat. Love, Meemom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll trade you a game of mexican train or scrabble for some sheep cheese :-)
    Love,
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete