Friday, July 15, 2011

Some Thoughts On Trusting God

Proverbs 3:5
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding.  In all your ways, acknowledge Him, and He will make your path straight.”  

I am still learning to do this!  Trusting in the Lord is a much easier thing to simply think about or write about, than to actually put into practice.  Why do I ever doubt His leading?  I know how powerful He is, and yet sometimes I still wonder.  Why do I do that?  Why do I worry?  Why am I afraid?  He’s always been in control. 
"Learning more truth is a poor and cheap substitute for stopping and putting into action the truth already learned"   ~Charles R. Swindoll
 I see myself doing this sometimes.  There’s so much to learn from God’s word!  And I love learning it.  But it’s so much easier to learn lots of things, than to actually put them into practice.  
I lean on my own understanding far more than I should.  Because I never should :-) Without His help, I know I am wholly incapable of letting go, and trusting ALL THINGS into His hands.      

Often I feel like the apostle Paul, when he admitted in Romans 7:15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.”

I look back on some of the things I’ve done, and more specifically some of the things I have said and written, and think “WHY did I have to say something so stupid…or so foolish?”  Thinking about the way I handled some situations...the impatience I've shown....irrrrrrrr

Honestly, I drive myself absolutly nuts somtimes.  But I am also realizing the truth of God’s grace.  He doesn’t want me to look back so that I can feel terrible about it.  He wants me to see the mistakes I’ve made, and learn from them.  It’s that brilliant concept of making right decisions based on the faulty ones that I, and that others have made in the past. 
"...and he will make your paths straight."
Straight paths are an interesting idea.  I have taken it to mean that He will direct me, lead me in the right direction, and help me see things “His way”  when I trust in Him.  It’s interesting to think that when walking on literally “straight” paths, you can see far ahead of you.  You have vision, and can somewhat expect what is coming.  Things aren’t hidden around the corners, and you have a clear view for the future.   If we are constantly ACKNOWLEDGING Him in ALL of our life decisions, seeking to do what pleases Him, we can trust that He will clear those pathways for us!  

No comments :

Post a Comment