Sunday, July 31, 2011

Potatoes/Today's Sermon ;-)

I've been so disappointed with my potatoes this year.  One particular little pathetic, wilted, stick of a plant (shall I even call it a plant?) was irritating me every time I walked by it.

So before I fell off the cliffs of insanity, I decided to yank it up.  

What do you know…5 beautiful potatoes were nestled down in the moist, warm soil.  
And they grew from that UGLY irksome little stick. 

I call that sustainability!    You plant a quarter of a potato, and dig up 5. (And even from a dead plant!)


Pastor Dean’s sermon was awesome this morning.  I don’t know if he planned on the message being exactly what I needed to hear, but I do know for sure that God had something to do with giving him those words ;-)

The title of the message was “Trust Me,” from Matthew 14:22-36..  

The disciples were terrified.  They were in a boat in the middle of the night, and as if that’s not scary enough, suddenly they see what they think is a ghost walking out on the lake toward them.  Jesus tries to tell them not to be afraid.  Peter calls out “Lord, if it’s you, tell me to come to you on the water.”  “Come, He said.” Matt 14:27

So Peter climbs out of the boat and begins to walk out onto the water.  He was doing awesome…until…he took his focus off of Jesus.   Matt. 14:30 “But when he saw the wind, he was afraid, began to sink, and cried out, “Lord save me!”

Peter took his eyes off Jesus, and started looking around at his circumstance.  He was frightened by the wind.    

“Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him.  “You of little faith,” he said “Why did you doubt?” Matt. 14:31
***********
Whoa.  I need to paste that verse all over my walls.  Why do I EVER doubt him?  Is not he great enough to calm the storm and stop the wind?  And if he chooses to let the wind rage, is he not strong enough to pull me up from the waves?  Is not he great enough to make the impossible, possible?  Am I willing to trust him, no matter what his plan is?  100 times, YES!  

I’ve played Peter many times.  And I think Jesus is saying to me now “You of little faith!  Trust in me!  Why do you doubt?”   I don’t have to worry and fret over ANYTHING….tricky complicated relationships, tricky complicated financial situations, tricky complicated anything…because nothing is not too tricky, complicated, or tangled to bring to the Lord! :-)    

Pastor Dean pointed out that Jesus could have prevented the entire situation if he so chose to.  He could have spared the disciples from all that fear they experienced.  But if you keep on reading in Matthew chapter 14, you will notice that their faith in him is developing, and their knowledge of who he is has grown when you compare with previous chapters.  Everything Jesus brings the disciples through affirms to them his sovereignty and who he really is.  This shows us that He wants us to grow.  He LOVES us.  He wants us to have an even stronger relationship with him.  

What an awesome God.

I was just remembering a song from Chris Tomlin…some of the words were:

“I can sing in the troubled times, sing when I win.
 I can sing when I loose my step, and fall down again.  
I can sing ‘cause he lifts me up, sing ‘cause You’re there,
I can sing ‘cause you hear me Lord, when I call to you in prayer.
I can sing with my last breath, sing for I know,
 That I’ll sing with the angels and the saints around the throne!”  

I love to sing.  And I’ll keep right on praising Him, no matter what.

“Turn your eyes upon Jesus, look full in his wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
In the light of his glory and grace.”  

 I have more to write about this sermon, so I will continue on with a pt. 2 later.  :-)

1 comment :

  1. Good stuff! I imagine it encouraged lots of folks. Thanks for sharing!

    Love you,
    Mommy

    ReplyDelete