Friday, July 29, 2011

Another Good Quote

“One single fact clearly presented and firmly impressed is better than whole chapters of information poured out in a confused jargon on minds which cannot remember any part of it.” 
~J.R. Miller, Homemaking

I want to encourage any homeschooling mothers out there, that even when it seems like you’re failing to pound anything into your kids little heads, you are still doing more for them than a public school ever could.  I know this, because I am homeschooled, and I have witnessed those bad days (the “Kids, you’re sendin’ me over the edge!” ones) that maybe seem to be accomplishing nothing.  But for the strong conviction to keep us at home, I doubt my parents would have continued to homeschool.  Homeschooling isn’t the “easy way,” and there are going to be challenging days, but rest assured that if you are focusing on the most important thing—your children’s character and their knowledge of God—you are greatly surpassing the public system. 

I’m terrible with numbers.  It’s just one of those things I don’t wrap my mind around very well.  I’m not great at remembering history dates, and my algebra skills are appalling.  It’s interesting that that dates I do remember are generally the time periods we studied exclusively though reading mountains of books and listening to tapes, films, and documentaries. (Which focused mainly on the wars and goings-on between the mid 1500's and now.)   I didn’t just read about wars and dates in a text book and remember them.  Maybe it’s just me, but I have a very difficult time remembering anything that I don’t read about or listen to at least a couple times.  Cramming doesn’t do me any good.  The important facts that were firmly impressed in multiple ways are the ones I remember most clearly. 

Talk it out
Write it out
Listen to it
Read it
Get other’s opinions on it
Have it read to you
Read some more
Write it out again

Then you’ll never forget! :-)

Isn’t it rather strange that the school system has prescribed a certain number of hours and days in which everything must be completed?  Talk about conveyor-belt style.  I can’t help but wonder how many geniuses we’ve suffocated through the process of mandatory everyone-learns-this-on-this-day, and if-you-don’t-we’ll-keep-right-on-going schooling.  

Romans 12:6-8
“We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith;  if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach;  if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully.”

Your job as a parent is to resource your children’s gifts.  Encourage them when they are interested in a certain subject, because that interest was given to them by the Lord, and he has a purpose and a plan in mind for them. 

No comments :

Post a Comment