Wednesday, July 20, 2011

3 Basic Questions from a Theistic Worldview

1.       “Who am I.”  
Colossians 1:15-20  The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation.  For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him.  He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.  And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy.  For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him, and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross.
 You say, so wait a minute…that’s talking about Jesus.  I thought this question was “who am I”!  
If we do not know who Jesus is, then we are not going to understand who we are.  He is the creator of all things.  He made us, he owns us, we were created FOR HIM.  All things hold together because of him, he is the ruler of things on heaven, and on earth.  

“I am MADE IN THE IMAGE OF GOD.  The crowning glory of His creation.  He knit me together in my mother’s womb.  He chose me, before the foundation of the world to be one of his children.  
Genesis 1:26   Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”
Psalm 139:13-16 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb.  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful,
   I know that full well.
 My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.


2.  “Why am I here.”
To serve others as He has served me.  To love others as He has loved me.  To praise him for what he has done.  But ultimately, I am here to glorify and honor Him in all that I say and do, and to help direct others to him.  I have purpose, meaning, and worth in Jesus Christ.     
It was probably the saddest comment I’ve ever seen on Yahoo answers.  This is an example of someone who is purposeless:  “Gods are all imaginary.  Go look in a mirror.  In front of you is the only one that can give your life purpose or meaning.” 
I feel so sorry for these people. 

3.  “What is wrong with the world, and what can be done to fix it?”
WE are what is wrong with the world.  It was Adam’s sin that brought pain and suffering.  If there was no us, the world would be perfect J
But that was not God’s providential plan.  God loved us enough to “throw us the ball” even though he knew we were going to drop it.  He wasn’t “surprised” when Adam sinned, that was his plan all along.  If there was no sin, there would be no reason for him to send his one and only son to DIE for us on a cross, thereby demonstrating his love, and mercy and grace.  He wanted to be able to show us HOW MUCH he loves us.  It is so hard to comprehend…I suppose that is why the apostles call it “the mystery of the gospel.”  I’ll never completely understand it all, but that’s ok!
Colossians 1:21 “Although you were formerly alienated and hostel in mind, engaged in evil deeds…”
THAT is the problem!  We are born sinners, REBELING against God in every possible way.  And until He saves us, we are engaged in evil deeds, seeking our own pleasure and prestige.  If we do anything good, it is to make ourselves feel better, or to look good in front of others.  Our lives are full of wrong motives. 
Honestly,, that still happens even after we are saved!  We still do things for the wrong motives, and we still do things that are displeasing to Him.  Only now, because we love the Lord and all that he has done for us, we grieve over the sin in our lives, we ask for forgiveness, and he is ALWAYS faithful to forgive us.  All Christians are is FORGIVEN dirty sinners J  We’re no better than the rest!  

No comments :

Post a Comment