Saturday, May 14, 2011

Bees!

I opened up the beehives yesterday, and took a few pictures. Pretty neat huh?
 The bees formed a queen cell, and frankly, I'm not sure what to think about that.  That little yellow blob is a queen cell.  The egg that gets laid in it is the same as any other egg in the regular cells...they just feed it differently.  When this queen hatches, it will kill the other queen.  They may make even more queen cells, and all but the one they like the most will end up getting killed :-)  Sweet little creatures :-)

 This is capped brood.  The queen did a very good job, only a few cells missed.  The ones around the outsides are filled with water, pollen, or eggs that have not yet been capped. 
Joe got stung yesterday when he was watching me.  I told him probably 5 times to stay back, but he wasn't afraid at all.  He was standing right next to me when he started screaming...he got stung right on the tip of his finger!  Poor little guy! 

1 comment :

  1. This is all just so fascinating! I am soooo glad you have taken this project on! I am really enjoying learning about them as you do your thing caring for them. I can't wait to learn more as you use their wax for candles and one day harvest honey! That will be more than awesome! They are truly amazing creatures. I love having them around. Thanks so much! Good job! Keep up the great work!
    I love you,
    Mommy

    ReplyDelete